Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Identify my oboe model

I am a flutist and I don't know anything about oboe but wanted to learn it. I have bought a used buffet oboe from internet and the seller told me it is a 4151 student model. but since it didn't look like the photos of this model I wrote to buffet indicating the serial number and they told me it is an Prestige Green LinE BC3613Ga oboe but, it is so strange because I think it is an student oboe and I haven't paid that much for it. Now I'm really confused so, can anyone help me to identify the model?

Attachments

• oboe.jpg
    oboe.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 462
  • oboe 1.jpg
    oboe 1.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 404
  • oboe 2.jpg
    oboe 2.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 496
I'm going to pick option 3: none of the above. I think you're missing too much of the keywork from either model. Unless it's really, really old. I know the Greenline isn't terribly old.

No, I'm not an oboe player. However, I've attempted to play oboe on a couple of occasions. I'm only posting because I looked at a bunch of oboe pics and didn't see much in common with your horn.

Thanks for your reply. I again sent the photos to Buffet company and they told me it is BC4121-2-0 produced around 1997. Do you think that model can be true? Considering that I have paid 560 euros for this oboe, do you think the price is reasonable? because otherwise I will try to ask to return the instrument since he has told me it is a 4151 oboe. Thank you in advance

I definitely think the BC4121-2-0 is a better match than the other models mentioned, Amir.

Looks like they're around 1,500 Euros, new, and I saw dealers selling used horns around 850 Euros. Of course, that would be an overhauled horn. On yours, I don't know if you've got cracks in the wood, you need all new pads and springs, etc.

Jim's right, but I'll turn it around: have an actual oboe player/your instructor play it. If he/she/it/they say it's got problems, then it has problems. The oboe is one of the most difficult instruments to master and neither you nor I are currently qualified to say how good the horn is.

I find it interesting that I didn't see more of these horns being sold in the used market. I don't know if that's because it's a great horn and nobody wants to part with one or because it's junk and was pulled from the market quickly.

As a final thought, there are a couple different fingering systems for the oboe and a couple different octave key mechanisms. I don't know how much of a difference they make in your playing experience, but I'm sure they'd cost more. As an example, I could play a sax without an automatic octave key mechanism, not I wouldn't necessarily want to -- maybe if it was engraved "Adolphe Sax" or something. Your student oboe has a "semi-automatic" octave key. Again, I'm not qualified enough to tell you if that's good or bad.

Last edited:
Hello,

Yes, I second the opinion. You need to find an Oboe player, or a reputable repair shop and have them look at it, play it, and tell you. Maybe both, the oboe player and the repair shop.

It doesn't look like a basic oboe, more like an intermediate. It lacks the left-hand F, but does have the lower Bb (which beginner models doesn't have).

It is normally a bad idea to buy an instrument without being able to test it... I fell for that when I was an absolute beginner, and the perpetrator was in fact my first Oboe teacher... the guy sold us what was essentially garbage (we learned about that about 1 year later), with the help of another Oboist we found a place that worked repairing them, and the person told us not even the wood was in good shape, it was better just to get another one.

Back
Top Bottom