Orpheo Bass?

Heckelphone

Double Reed CE
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I was browsing Amazon, and ran across an Orpheo bass sax, listed at $4K. New! Has anyone encountered one of these, or others of this make? I'm sure its probably too good to be true...

I haven't played one Grant, but was aware that they're being sold off at rock bottom prices both on Amazon and on eBay. Amazon has the lower price though...Or at least they did the last time I checked.

I too was wondering how good/bad they were. I'm not aware of anyone on the Bass Sax Co-op who owns one, or has even mentioned playing one. Kinda' strange when you think about it...

There is certainly no shortage of Asian bass saxes on the market at the moment. Check out this lovely no-name bass sax on eBay right now. I have my doubts that it's legit, but eBay hasn't pulled the auction yet, and the the bids and the price keep climbing. I wonder if it will go over $1,000.

Chinese Bass

The ebay seller looks a bit odd: all of the detail regarding shipping, none regarding the actual merchandise. :???: There is another Chinese seller (possibly the same) who has been posting contrabassoons for sale, with a very similar ad. When questioned, he can provide absolutely no information about the horn itself, and is unwilling to allow someone to come look at it (one of the members on the contrabassoon list lives in Singapore). He once posted a heckelphone for sale, and gave three mutually contradictory stories about its provenance (there are only around 100 in existence: they can be tracked down).

Be interesting to hear if anything actually arives...

Back
Top Bottom