Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Peter Jessen: G Mezzo Soprano

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pics of the G mezzo prototype so you can see what it looks like. Sorry for the poor quality of the images. The lighting was awful and I was using a camera that I was unfamiliar with. This horn doesn't exist anymore. Everything is made by hand. Thus, Peter tore down the horn in order to be able to reuse the keywork. #2 was built in brass (like the following ones) but there were still things he was not happy with. A couple of tone holes were not positioned optimally. So he tore down that horn too and built #3, which I believe may be the one on the video Pete refers to above. Not sure what has happened afterwards other than that Peter has worked hard to get it ready. Benjamin Koppel, whom is as gifted as any saxophonist I have heard (I am serious), just took possession of the first G mezzo that Peter has sold, and will record with it stateside this year. The second one will go Bob Rockwell. I wouldn't be surprised if the third were to be purchased by a classical saxophonist, because the ones that have tried have really liked it. It plays much warmer and less nasally sounding than the standard Bb soprano.

Last edited:
That pic is from the very first prototype. I hope to have pictures for the 2011 calender of the current model. I think Peter rebuilt the G mezzo at least 5 times before he sold the final (so far) instrument to Benjamin Koppel (http://benjaminkoppel.dk/Home.html). Benjamin Koppel's G mezzo is in silver plated brass with gold plated keywork. Peter is now working on the horn for Lovano. You need one as well Gandalfe. You would be in good company!

BTW, Peter has repaired instruments since he was 15. Now he makes mouthpieces, necks and saxes. He has made three tenors, the first one was a prototype with a plastic bell that Brecker tried out and had some fun with while Peter worked on his MKVI before a concert. The second tenor is still for sale. It is in silver plated copper and has this big warm permeating sound. The third one is bare brass; the best tenor ever made but sadly owned by the most undeserving individual on the planet :). He next had a go at making an alto. I tried to pry it away from him but he doesn't want to sell it because he is not satisfied with it. I doubt he will make anything but mezzos in the future because it doesn't make sense financially.

You are absolutely right. I have told Peter countless times but he is up to his ears. I would be more than happy to translate the pages but am working crazy hours so it will have to wait. Perhaps on my next trip there and can find time to do it and have Peter approve.

Here is a link to "Triple Concert for Saxophone, Cello, and Harp" written by Anders Koppel. Benjamin Koppel plays Peter Jessen's G mezzo soprano. It from the Danish Radio's web-site and I am not sure how long the link will remain active, so best to take a listen sooner rather than later if this has your interest.

Joe Lovano took possession of his G mezzo, while he was in Copenhagen for the 2010 jazz festival. He even performed a number on it after having in possession for less than 24 hours and is apparently very enthusiastic about. Hopefully, he will record with it soon. Also, Peter made another horn in parallel to Lovano's so if any of you should visit Copenhagen, you could possibly try it out.

More pics are always good, too! However, if someone just wants to buy me one and send it to me, I wouldn't mind :).

You can hear Joe Lovano with Us Five at The Village Vanguard playing Bird Songs, including Lover Man on the Peter Jessen G mezzo soprano saxophone here (30:30). It also features a really cool picture of Lovano playing the instrument.

Peter is currently making 2-3 mezzoes in case there are any takers here.

Still need web site and social media links for this one.
Tough crowd (sigh). I am merely doing my best for a friend who is an awful lot better with his walk than his talk. I have passed it on to Peter in the past, but he hasn't gotten there yet. Not sure that he will anytime soon, but I will let him know again.

If they're free, I'll take one. Heck, I'll pay shipping!
11K at the current exchange rate, i.e. in the range of an Inderbinen standard sax model for which the keywork comes from Yamaha, as opposed to be entirely unique. The white pearls on the G mezzo are an exception. They are "standard" from Eppelsheim.

As far as delivery goes, it could probably be arranged in person across the "pond".

It's good to have a firm price. I'm hoping that we can convince either Gandalfe or Groovekiller to buy one.

I've made the argument that Groove has too much gear so he should give me some. The argument has been unsuccessful, thus far.

Back
Top Bottom