Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Serial Number and Model Listing

wow. and available in Cocuswood too. Cocus became commerically extinct at one time. It was heavily used for woodwind instruments - clarinets, flutes, etc.

and what's with the bottom line.. "Cheaper Foreign made Clarinets can be supplied. Prices on application"
I wonder what that would have been? Italy, Germany, US ... Taiwan ? :)

Last edited:
Very interesting history here. That bass clarinet case is an eye opener. Cool stuff.

Julian

...and available in Cocuswood too...

and what's with the bottom line.. "Cheaper Foreign made Clarinets can be supplied. Prices on application"
I wonder what that would have been? Italy, Germany, US ... Taiwan ? :)

I think the advert is later than my bass clarinet - but if the choice was Ebonite or cocuswood, I have wondered if mine is actually made of cocuswood. I believe it is meant to be lighter (by weight) than grenadilla, but wouldn't know how to differentiate it otherwise. My bass appears unstained.

As for the offer of cheaper foreign made clarinets - I am curious too now. I will post on the Clarinet BB and see what emerges

Chris

Last edited:
I spent a couple hours today upgrading the code of the serial number list to W3C HTML 4.01 Compliant (read: it should work properly in newer browsers). Additionally, I fixed the bit of JavaScript that was not allowing pop-ups in Chrome even if the pop-up blocker was turned off.

I have about a 1/2 dozen more serial number lists to add. Someday.

FWIW, I'm still having the problem in Chrome. Unless one of the other umteen programs on this new thing is causing the problem. I'll have to see if I can figure out where to find them.

FWIW, I'm still having the problem in Chrome. Unless one of the other umteen programs on this new thing is causing the problem. I'll have to see if I can figure out where to find them.

Works fine in Iron (which is the Chrome engine without the "Google phone home" features)...unless I managed not to look at the same URL/page as you did.

What's happening is that Chrome -- and I'll have to check out Iron, TTT -- has a pop-up blocker on by default. If you go to the TOOLS menu (it's the thing that looks like a little wrench), click on the UNDER THE HOOD tab and click on the CONTENT SETTINGS button, there's a tab for POP-UPS.

All you have to do is click on the EXCEPTIONS button and allow my websites, [B]http://thesax.inf[/B]o and 208.95.77.77. Save everything and restart Chrome.

Mind you, there are also lots of Chrome Extensions (plug-ins) that do pop-up blocking, too. I only have FlashBlock, AdBlock and IETab.

Of course, you could just use Internet Explorer: it'll just ask you if you want to allow the pop-up.

============

The reason why I did the drop-down menu thing is because I could have one manufacturer that has a model page, a clarinet serial number chart, a flute serial number chart, an oboe serial number chart and something else (I've been toying with adding archive.org links, too), but you might have another manufacturer that just has a sax serial number chart. The drop-downs make things look an awful lot cleaner.

Off Topic Regarding Iron Browser

It does look fairly slick. There are a couple "howevers":

a. I use Chrome Portable, because I don't like having to have two (or more) computers with different profiles, etc. Iron Portable is still in Pre-Beta. Admittedly, it seems stable, but I'd have to test for a longish while. I will, tho!

b. If you go to the Iron website, they seem to have their own "list" of extensions for Iron. I did install IETab from the Google Chrome website, and that seems to work, but I'd want to enthusiastically test it.

Now, Iron is using a newer version of the Chromium code than Google Chrome. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference. Considering it is a (slightly) different version, it makes me wonder how stable it is. However, as Helen would say, it's German software. A German pre-beta release is probably better than most peoples' gold release :).

Brief updatage: about a week or two ago, saxpics.com changed a whole lot of links, which killed off at least two saxophone serial number charts. I've rebuilt those two (HN White & SML) and I'm trying to fix the other links to model information.

Just a tad.

When I sold the 'site, I told them that if they wanted me to, I'd do some updates, etc. I never really got a response.

Just a tad.

When I sold the 'site, I told them that if they wanted me to, I'd do some updates, etc. I never really got a response.

Yeah. A multi-million contract helps over the worst separation issues. ;-)
(ain't it frustrating that someone is more interested in the hollow shell rather than the contents?)

Before I sold the 'site, I was contacted by a marketing firm that wanted to pay me about 3x as much as what USAHorn.com paid. The only thing is that they wanted to eliminate all the content. I didn't want that, even though I could have used the cash.

I was looking through some of my old stuff and found a "handlist" for Boosey, Distin and Hawkes instruments. It's the attached PDF in the first post. If you're enterprising, you could make a serial number chart.

Post #1 of this thread mentions Besson & Co.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a friend mentioned that that had an old clarinet and he brought it to me to look at. It was an old, dry Besson, but nice wood and really well built. The barrel was fully metal lined and the lining continued right down to the bottom of the barrel, so at the joint with the UJ, there was a sleeve continuous with the barrel bore that fitted inside the UJ tenon as well as the barrel mortice being metal lined too, that went over the cork of the UJ tenon. The upper joint tenon was also metal lined for the length of the tenon, and it all fitted perfectly and smoothly together.

Not sure I explained that very well - wish a took a photo!

The UJ/LJ mortice was also metal lined.

There is some history of Besson in the PDF mentioned above, as well as on their website - http://www.besson.com/en/history.php

The is a serial chart for brass for Besson here - http://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Bessonlist.html - but no idea if it is a single serial for all instruments. My friend's clarinet was serial 1717 which would make it about 1860 by that chart, but other references say that before 1895 the company was marked F. Besson, and Besson & Co. after that.

Anyway, just for fun I did some work on the clarinet. It is A=457 so not much use, but nice to get it working smoothly again. Always one to get the camera out....

Before

before.jpg

After

after.jpg

after2.jpg

Chris

Back
Top Bottom