pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Been looking for one for awhile.

Pics:
saxophoneworld.com
Malta

Selmer Japan catalog attached. Platinum plate is mentioned on page 2.

If you have more pics, please share.

Attachments

• selmer_sax.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 780
Never heard of it... but then I only follow Selmer's new stuff very peripherally.

What I find fascinating, is how many different products are available to the Asian market that we don't even see in European or North American ones. Finishes, colours--not to mention models. I remember coming across a sub-model of a Selmer in a Japanese (?--can't remember ATM) publication, that I had never heard of. It was a limited edition. I'll see if I can dig out and update this when I do.

Japan gets a lot of limited models and horns are much cheaper. From what I understand, Jazz is still extremely popular out there.

There's a Japanese website here that has the horns for sale (look for the word "Malta"). It's 1,995,000 Yen for a Serie II alto. That's slightly under $18,000 US. The Serie III is 2,065,000 Yen or about $18,500 US. These are list prices and the website asks you to call in for an actual price. Looking at the other prices, I'd say the actual sale price is around 15% - 20% cheaper.

If you can find out about the limited Selmer model you're thinking of, please post!

Yani had a "Velour Gold" finished horn, which I think was only for Japan. I'd assume that that finish choice is popular there. I dunno.

I'm not really big into finishes, even though I really enjoy the debate about whether finish or material has an impact on the horn's sound quality. I do remember the "Super 20 Anniversary" finished horns that popped up on ebay and Sax-on-the-Web, which looked like Super 20s with gold plate and clear lacquer on the bell. People were talking about high 5-digit $ to buy both an alto and tenor version of each, where as I just kinda said, "If you have that much cash, can you please send me some? I promise to do good stuff with it!"

Back
Top Bottom