Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

That doesn't look quite right ....

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
So, I was surfing www.selmer.fr. I wanted to see what Mark VI pics were there for a project I'm thinking about. They have an alto with lacquer body and "silver plate" (they look nickel-plated, to me) keys.

Here's the pic and note the section I have "squared." It's the first thing I noticed. (The direct link should be this. The selmer.fr website is Flash-based, so direct linking is difficult. It also starts playing music, so watch your volume.)

54MarkVIténorVO.jpg

Now, assuming this is a 1954 Mark VI alto -- the filename is "54MarkVIténorVO," so we're doing some assuming in any case -- that little "bridge" should have one or two adjustment screws, like this 1954 alto with lacquer body and (really) silver plated keywork. Oh. There's also something a little off with that G#/C#/B/Bb cluster. It's kinda missing something. One other thing, too. It's kinda hard to see in Selmer's pic, but there's also a little "helper" arm on that low B key.

It's a Balanced Action with a Mark VI or later neck. You think I should tell them? :D

Grand. Makes me wanna check out the entire website to find out what else is wrong.

Grand. Makes me wanna check out the entire website to find out what else is wrong.

Mmmm.... Well I can tell you at least one thing, and it's a biggie... And I mean it's freakin' huge...

In that article from the 2011 edition of Pan Pipes, on how to detect counterfeit Selmer horns--the article that Selmer posted on their website--the author states the following:

In addition, on the fake model, in the "Reference" engraving, there is an additional loop added to the "R".

The author is basing this on a crappy, angled photo that Selmer put on its Facebook page that looked like this:

fake selmer.jpg

The problem is, real Reference horns have a loop on their "R", as can be seen in this photo--only one of a number that I have from Dave--from Selmer Pro Shop, Kessler & Sons. We know that Kessler & Sons wasn't selling counterfeit Selmers, so the article was wrong in this detail.

Selmer-Logo-On-Bell.jpg

I'm currently writing an article about counterfeit Selmers--yes, inspired by this article--and it's interesting what I'm finding. I hope to have it published in the next few days.

Getting back to the original point, this is something that is on the Selmer website that is wrong, which potentially makes Reference owners think they own counterfeit horns.

makes Reference owners think they own counterfeit horns.
Yup. They are all counterfeits. Tell ya what. If you have a Reference horn that looks like the one in that Kessler and Sons pic, send it my way. I'll even pay for shipping.

I'll just leave this here. I remembered I had pointed out this pic as another problem on the Selmer.fr website a few years ago.

Capture.PNG

I'll just leave this here. I remembered I had pointed out this pic as another problem on the Selmer.fr website a few years ago.

View attachment 2890

I'd like to know who made that "series 22" Alexandre is holding.
I can say it doesn't have pearls or a front F, and has a G# trill key, though.

Mmmm.... Well I can tell you at least one thing, and it's a biggie... And I mean it's freakin' huge...

In that article from the 2011 edition of Pan Pipes, on how to detect counterfeit Selmer horns--the article that Selmer posted on their website--the author states the following:

The author is basing this on a crappy, angled photo that Selmer put on its Facebook page that looked like this:

View attachment 2889

The problem is, real Reference horns have a loop on their "R", as can be seen in this photo--only one of a number that I have from Dave--from Selmer Pro Shop, Kessler & Sons. We know that Kessler & Sons wasn't selling counterfeit Selmers, so the article was wrong in this detail.

Selmer-Logo-On-Bell.jpg

I'm currently writing an article about counterfeit Selmers--yes, inspired by this article--and it's interesting what I'm finding. I hope to have it published in the next few days.

Getting back to the original point, this is something that is on the Selmer website that is wrong, which potentially makes Reference owners think they own counterfeit horns.

The fakes that Selmer is referring to have an additional loop. It can be seen faintly in the pink/purple/who-knows-what coloured fake. Here's a slightly better picture of a fake with the loop:
Untitled.png

On the fake I see more related to it being fake in relation to the wreath.
The wreath does not make a circle. The upper wreath is a different arc than the lower wreath.
plus each segment of the wreath is more tulip shaped than the Selmer arc in their current emblem.
I think the fakes took the emblem from a clarinet which is more scooped like their emblem.

The fakes that Selmer is referring to have an additional loop. It can be seen faintly in the pink/purple/who-knows-what coloured fake. Here's a slightly better picture of a fake with the loop:
View attachment 2891

Now that makes sense. It is much easier to see that extra loop in the "R". Thank you!

Oh. I mention elsewhere that one of the "features" I've seen on fake Mark VI sopranos is a G#/C#/B/Bb cluster that looks like the one on the VI alto. They're different, even on really late VI sopranos.

It's pictured properly at http://www.selmer.fr/histzoom.php?id=468. Correct in one place, wrong in another.

Linking to the obviously wrong picture isn't that big of a deal for me; I do it all the time. But I also write stuff when half asleep and/or when I'm taking various legal drugs. You'd think that Selmer.fr could hire someone to do some better research. Heck, I'd probably do it for free, if they asked me.

Back
Top Bottom