Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The Family Tree

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, it's been done before, but these things are never fully complete.

What I will attempt to do have individual posts for each pitch and have linkys to variations, etc.

Mainly because I have a bit of time, ATM ....

Highest: Bb Soprillo

The highest saxophone currently in production is the Bb Soprillo.

-> One and Only Manufacturer: Benedikt Eppelsheim
-> Product Page, pictures and sound clips
-> YouTube
-> Fan Site
-> Dealer Page (appx. $3,112 US, as of this writing)

=======

Vitals, taken from the Eppelsheim website:
* written range Bb 3?Eb 6 {i.e. keyed range of low Bb to altissimo Eb}, sounding Ab4-Db 7
* 1 octave above Bb soprano {i.e. one octave above what's in this pic}
* same fingering as any modern saxophone
* uses Eb , Ab or German style Bb clarinet reeds or sopranino sax reeds
* {mouthpiece is integral to the horn; the octave vent is on the mouthpiece}

More vitals, from http://soprillo.com:
* 12" (30cm) in height (13" including the mouthpiece)

Note: the Bb sopranissimo (which is what the Soprillo is) was not conceived of by A. Sax, nor was in his patent drawings.

F Sopranino

The F sopranino is a saxophone that doesn't exist, simply put. There is a notation in Ravel's Bolero to play the part on F sopranino, but it's likely a transcription error:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopranino_saxophone said:
Wikipedia[/url]]The most notable use of the sopranino is in the orchestral work Bol?ro by Maurice Ravel. Although Ravel calls for a sopranino saxophone in F, it is unlikely that such an instrument ever existed.
[url=http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=43321&postcount=18 said:
Paul Cohen[/url]]Ravel scored Bolero for a sopranino in F, an instrument that did not and does not exist.

In performances, if the sopranino is used, it is the standard model in the key of Eb, requiring transposing the printed part up a step. As scored, the sopranino solo extends beyond the lower range of the instrument and is picked up by the second saxophonist on soprano, a somewhat awkward and unprecedented (for the piece) transition. Often the sopranino is not used, with the solo fitting beautifully and perfectly on a Bb soprano.

In my performances of Bolero with orchestra, I play the solos on Bb tenor and Bb soprano, then switch to sopranino later in the part when it plays within the orchestra texture.
[url=http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=43412&postcount=20 said:
Randy Emerick[/url]]Ravel probably took his saxophone information from the Berlioz Treatise on Instrumentation, later revised by Richard Strauss. The range of the soprano and sopranino saxes in these reference books is listed as low B to high D. If this range were in fact the actual range of the soprano and sopranino saxes in Ravel's time, it would have been necessary to use the sopranino.

In fact, the Treatise on Instrumentation was obsolete as far as the saxophone is concerned by the time Ravel wrote the Bolero. The saxophone parts, as Mr. Cohen has pointed out, are perfectly playable on tenor and Bb soprano saxophones by one saxophone player.
It is theoretically possible that A. Sax did intend an F sopranino, as he wanted a line of Eb and Bb instruments for marching band and F and C instruments for orchestral work, but as far as I am aware (and have seen), A. Sax never made an F sopranino.

Eb Sopranino (sometimes called an Eb Soprano, particularly in pre-WWII advertisements)

* Manufacturers: Several, including Yanagisawa and Selmer.
* Variations: Two main variations, curved and straight.
* Wikipedia Entry.
* YouTube.

Vitals:
* Keyed range varies from low Bb to altissimo G.
* Sounds 1 octave above the alto (i.e., one octave above what's in this pic).
* Length is approximately 18.5", for a low Bb instrument (SOURCE).

Size comparison pic. The sopranino is on the far left. The contrabass is on the far right. I've seen this pic in Paul Lindemeyer's Celebrating the Saxophone -- which you should buy, already!

=========

The straight sopranino was "proposed" by A. Sax in his patent drawings and displayed in an exhibition in 1849 (and is listed as produced in 1851, on a serial number chart). I have not seen an A. Sax sopranino and I doubt any still exist. I also wonder if someone got confused, at some point, and reported a sopranino SAXHORN as a saxophone, especially as the sopranino saxophone has somewhat questionable intonation, even in modern incarnations, so I doubt A. Sax would call it a viable instrument over 150 years ago.

The curved sopranino was probably invented by HN White (source, paragraph 4), at least in prototype, but was not put into production until much later, with the novelty Kalison models from the 1930s.

C Soprano

* Manufacturers: Several, but production ended before WWII. AquilaSax is "thinking" about making a new C soprano, but it's only in prototype.
* Variations: Two main variations, curved (very rare) and straight. There is an extremely rare third variation that was actually made in two different forms: the Buescher tipped bell C. (See also THIS.)
* Wikipedia Entry.
* Audio.
* Fan Sites.

Vitals:
* Keyed range varies from low Bb to (rarely) altissimo F. Generally low Bb to altissimo Eb.
* Sounds 1 octave above the C melody tenor.
* Length is ... longer than an Eb sopranino and shorter than a Bb soprano (sorry; I couldn't find exact measurements).

=================

I've *heard* of A. Sax C tenors and I've seen an A. Sax F alto, so I'd assume that there were a couple of C sopranos, too. However, the serial number list of A. Sax instruments I've quoted doesn't have a C sax listed.

And here's my Conn C Soprano refurbished by Sarge of Worldwide Saxophone.

conncsop_med.jpg

The Bb Soprano

* Manufacturers: LOTS.

* Variations:
-> Straight (vintage, A. Sax), Straight (modern, Selmer Mark VI). Note that the "neck" is sometimes fixed, sometimes removable, depending on make/model.
-> Straight w/Curved neck (modern, Selmer S80 Serie III). Note that the "neck" is sometimes fixed, sometimes removable, depending on make/model.
-> Curved (vintage, Conn Wonder), Curved (modern, Yanagisawa SC-902). Note that the "neck" is sometimes fixed, sometimes removable, depending on make/model.
-> Tipped Bell (vintage, Buescher True Tone), Tipped Bell-Style (modern, P. Mauriat & Phil Barone).
-> Perfect Curved (vintage, Lyon & Healy. This pic is of the Martin-made example. Holton did, as well).
"Perfect Curved" is the name that's given to this model in most of the catalogs I've seen, but other folks have called this a "Semi-Curved" or "1/2 Curved" soprano.
-> Saxello (vintage, HN White), Saxello-Style (modern, Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz).

* Wikipedia Entry.

* YouTube: Kenny G ("Songbird"), Sidney Bechet ("Sweet Georgia Brown"), John Coltrane ("My Favorite Things").

Vitals:
* Keyed range varies from low Bb to altissimo G, which is the "modern standard".
* Sounding range.
* Length is approximately 27 1/2", for a low Bb instrument (SOURCE).
* Weight is approximately 2lbs, 10oz, for a low Bb instrument (SOURCE).

=========

Again, I'm all set to be corrected, but I do not believe that A. Sax produced a curved Bb soprano, much less any other variation. It's PROBABLE that the first company to produce a curved soprano was either C.G. Conn (I've seen examples dating from 1908 and slightly earlier) or Evette-Schaeffer (a.k.a. Buffet, where I've OWNED one of their curved sopranos from about 1915).

Well, let's move into the more esoteric realm with the Aulochrome, essentially a dual-soprano sax that can be played by one person.

* Manufacturer: Fran?ois Louis.
* Wikipedia Entry.
* Video: Joe Lovano, "Big Ben".
* JazzReview.com Article.

Vitals:
* Keyed range: looks like low A to altissimo G.
* Length is slightly longer than your standard "tipped bell" Bb soprano, because the range extends to low A.
* Weight: Well, it's two tipped bell sopranos, with extensions to low A and a bunch of additional keywork. I'd guesstimate 6+ lbs.

More Esoterica: Slide Saxophones

Most slide saxophones are Bb or C sopranos, but there are some other esoteric ones out there that range to different pitches. Considering there are so many slide horns, I'll just hit you with a few entries.

* Paul Cohen Article on Slide Saxophones.
* Swanee Slide Sax. Pics and MP3.
* Reiffel & Husted Pics and Ad.
* More Swanee Slide Sax Pics and Ads.
* Bevy of Slide Saxophones, credit: Rob Verdi, from my 2008 Calendar. Hey: buy a calendar.
* Audio: Rob Verdi, "Mood Indigo".

There are also slide saxophones in really odd shapes, such as like a French horn.

Ah, now for the more interesting family: Mezzo-Soprano. Starting with probably the newest saxophone, the G Mezzo prototype from Peter Jessen.

* Manufacturer: Peter Jessen.
* Peter Jessen Interview, with links to pics.

NEW: Peter Jessen just finished his Mk. II. LINK WITH VIDEO.

Vitals:
* Keyed range from low Bb to altissimo F.
* Length is ... longer than a Bb soprano and shorter than an Eb or F alto (sorry; I don't have exact measurements and this is a prototype, anyhow).

=============

Most G instruments are relatively uncommon. A G saxophone was, up until this point, non-extant.

I have learned that some companies still make G Clarinets, like Amati (see this). I'm wondering how that G Mezzo sax will compete.

The F Mezzo-Soprano and Alto

... The name "mezzo-soprano" for an F instrument is a bit of a marketing gimmick. A. Sax had intended a line of Eb altos for marching band and F altos for concert band/orchestra.

The "mezzo soprano" part came in where Conn created a new version of their 18M soprano and thought that the bore could be extended to create an F instrument. That's the mezzo-soprano -- but that's not the only F horn Conn made.

The Conn-O-Sax, which has a bigger bore and longer keyed range, is a "true" alto and has a darker tone than the Conn F Mezzo. It's also considerably more rare.

==============

* Manufacturers: Several. Includes A. Sax, Conn and Kohlert. Many others from the 19th century.

* Variations:
-> F Mezzo Soprano (a.k.a. "alto sax shaped"). Conn picture directories.
-> Conn-O-Sax. Conn picture directories.

* Wikipedia Entry.

* Cybersax Article and audio clips.

* Saxpics.com Info: pics, advertisements, links to several articles and sounds of the Conn horns.

Vitals:
* Keyed range varies from low A to altissimo G (Conn-O-Sax). Most F altos have a keyed range of low Bb to altissimo F. I believe the A. Sax F altos only had a range of low B to altissimo Eb.
* Length is slightly smaller than an Eb alto.
* Weight is somewhat less than an Eb alto.

========

FWIW, I love the sound of a Conn-O-Sax being played properly. I have asked Benedikt Eppelsheim and Peter Jessen if they are planning on an F instrument in the future. The answer is currently no. That could change if demand rises!

Eb Alto Saxophone

This horn is the "bread and butter" saxophone and most sax players started on one or own one or more. I, of course, have to be different. I started on baritone :).

* Manufacturers: Everyone and their brothers.

* Variations:
-> Low B (this is an A. Sax horn, but A. Sax-designs and "beginner" horns up to approximately 1941 generally had a keyed range from low B to altissimo Eb).
-> Low Bb (this example's a Selmer Mark VI, but most modern altos have a keyed range from low Bb)
-> Low A (this example's also a Mark VI, but I've read that A. Sax had a low A variation available)
-> Straight low Bb alto, Vintage (these are the Buescher horns from saxpics.com, but I have read that there were straight altos available from A. Sax).
-> Straight Low Bb, Modern. I had to share this. It's a Keilwerth SX90 review from Stephen Howard.
-> "Starter Models". Several companies (Yanagisawa, Buescher, Keilwerth and probably others) came out with various pitches of saxophones with reduced keywork to "help" students. This model is a Buescher Academy.

* Wikipedia Entry.

* YouTube: Paul Desmond w/The Dave Brubeck Quartet. "Take Five".

Vitals:
* Sounding range, low Bb to altissimo F# horn.
* Keyed range varies from low A to altissimo G. Most modern Eb altos have a keyed range of low Bb to altissimo F#.
* Length is 41" for a low Bb version (approximate). SOURCE.
* Weight is appx. 5lb, 3oz for a low Bb version (approximate). SOURCE.

The C Melody Tenor

I really like the C melody. In my opinion, the horns that have the nicest "natural tone" are the Conn-O-Sax and the C melody. Why? Because, depending on how you play them, you can have a reedy, "woodwind-y" tone that has some power behind it. If, as all indications appear, A. Sax wanted to create a clarinet or double-reed with more power, this would be it.

* Manufacturers: Everyone, but mostly American companies. C melody production generally ended well before WWII for most companies (as was also the case with the C soprano), but a Vito-branded horn (produced by Beaugnier) was produced in the late 1960s and I hear of a rumored Yanagisawa model, every now and then.

The AquilaSax folks have a new C melody tenor and there are a couple other Chinese firms that are producing new horns based 100% on older Conns and Bueschers.

* Variations:
-> Vintage Straight Neck (usually Conn and Holton). This example is a 1932 Conn New Wonder.
-> Vintage Curved ("tenor-style") neck. This example is a 1935 Buescher Aristocrat.
-> Modern Straight Neck. This is the aforementioned 1960-ish Vito C melody (video).
-> Modern Curved Neck. This is the aforementioned modern Aquilasax.
-> Straight C Melody (Custom). J&J Woodwinds created this horn. It's featured in my 2008 Calendar. It's a 1919 Pan American.

* Wikipedia Entry.
* Video: Frankie Trumbauer, "Georgia on my Mind".
* Fan sites.

Vitals:
* Keyed range varies from low A to altissimo F#. Generally, low Bb to altissimo F.
-> The low A variation is rare. This was on some early Selmers and on at least one A. Sax instrument.

The C Contralto

This is a re-worked saxophone with a different key layout from Jim Schmidt. I tend to think calling it a "contralto" is unnecessary, but I didn't make the horn, so I can't make that call :).

It's definitely a pretty horn. And expensive: $10K US.

* Manufacturer: Jim Schmidt Designs.
* Jim's Myspace Page. Soundbites and pics.

* Keyed range: I think the range is low Bb to altissimo Eb. Altissimo is supposed to be easier and "more logical", so it's possible that you'd never want for an altissimo F key.

The Bb Tenor

* Manufacturer: Everyone.
I *think* there are maybe two specialty sax shops that make saxophones that don't make tenors. One of 'em is Eppelsheim.

* Variations:
-> "Curved Neck" (in other words, your standard tenor). This example is a gold-plated Mark VI.
-> Straight.

A little note on these.

There used to be (at least) two companies that sold a straight tenor: LA Sax and Keilwerth. Keilwerth no longer lists one for sale on their website (however, it used to be the SX-90). LA Sax's inventory of straight tenors is, according to saxophones.co.uk, all old stock from before LA Sax's current ownership (i.e. about 4 years ago), but is still listed for sale on their website. The cost of the Keilwerth is approximately $7000 and the LA Sax is approximately $4200.

* Wikipedia Entry.
* Video: Coleman Hawkins, "Body and Soul".

Vitals:
* Sounding range, low Bb to altissimo F# horn.
* Keyed range varies from low Bb to altissimo F#. There MIGHT be a couple horns with altissimo G or even a low A. I've not heard of any examples of these, tho.
* Weight is 8lbs for a low Bb version (approximate). SOURCE.

The F Baritone

http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/misc ... rved_bari/

There is some dispute over whether there ever has been an F baritone (no, your 1898 Evette-Schaeffer baritone is NOT in F. It's high pitch).

Randy Emerick said:
That baritone picture was originally published in Saxophone, Erfindung und Entwicklung einer Musikinstrumenten-Familie und ihre bedeutenden Hersteller (whew!) by Gunter Dullat. The book is not entirely accurate, but since Dullat actually owns the horn, I'm sure he has at least correctly identified the key in which it is pitched. It is the only baritone in F that I know of that still exists, made by 'PELISSON FRERES & Cie., SYSTEME GEORGE BREVETE S.G.D.G.' It was made around 1900, and even though it's not that old, I sure wish I could find one.
I'm going to quote from my OLD website on Xoom.com:
saxpics.com said:
Both pics are from French language sites. The first is from one of the several Early Wind Instruments sites (http://www.whc.net/rjones/antiques.html -- this mirror happens to have some English script -- and mis-dates the horn) and the second is from Clarinettes & Saxophones (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/helleringer/index.htm).

A. Sax produced the first saxophone in about 1843: a C bass in the shape of an ophicleide, as the original patent drawings show.
And, quoting myself, from SOTW at http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=3668:
a. The owner of this horn has some sort of disease or sickness that has rendered him unable to respond to e-mail for the past three years (if I send him an e-mail, his father responds -- and other posters to his website have gotten the same).

b. Paul Cohen disputes that this is an F baritone and thinks it's probably an Eb high pitch horn (based on both his and my experience that all the other F baris out there are Eb HP horns and are generally older Evette & Schaeffer horns), that's why we've been trying to contact the owner.
At the very least, this is a highly unusual high-pitch Eb baritone and I'd assume "Systeme George" refers to either the shape or the keywork.

That book is still available, tho. I wish I could read more German. (And French, for that matter.)

'Scuse me while I get on my horse ....

Back
Top Bottom