Weltklang: Pretty

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I would be surprised if the seller gets what they are after. It is a pretty horn though.

Too bad it doesn't have a case. For that kind of money, I would really expect to get one. But then as mentioned, the seller is over-reaching somewhat on the price anyway.

It is certainly a unique horn. I'm not sure pretty is what I'd use. For me, it would have to be a bit more refined to be "pretty". I'd call it handsome... :emoji_smile:

It was probably built during the Cold War, so it was likely designed to be nuclear attack resistant... Yeah, that's it... Mystery solved. ;-)

The seller is just minutes from my house. Hmmmm...... :emoji_smile:

A beautiful horn, but I agree it may be somewhat overpriced. Not because it isn't a quality instrument, but because of what the market usually bears for a
Weltklang. I bought a Weltklang baritone for $1200 that was in nearly the same condition, but it didn't have all the pearl touches this tenor has.

I may have to make an offer including the possibility of personally picking it up.

Or not...

I couldn't hold out. I made an offer, including personally picking up the horn. How can he/she refuse? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

I hope you get it, because it would be a shame to see it damaged in shipping due to it not having a case.

at least he won't be flying it back sans case from Louisianna :emoji_relaxed:
I actually have found my horns seem to far better shipping without the case, but I doubly box them in packing peanuts and bubble wrap when I ship them. Haven't had many problems with the cases, they just seem to go out of adjustment in the cases. Haven't had a problem with the generic style cases because I can get them packed pretty tight in there, but the fitted cases i.e. selmer vanguard etc, I've always had problems with.

Ed - Funny you should say that. I just got off the phone with my Tai Pan getting her permission to up my offer meeting the seller half-way to his counter-offer. I think we might be in the final negotiating stages and that tenor could soon be mine. He's so geographically close I could drive over there from work and pick it up tomorrow if he accepts my counter-counter-offer.

I want to personally thank whoever started this thread which got me deeper in debt to my personal banker and financial adviser (read wife). I might not otherwise have learned about the beautiful Weltklang if not for perusing the WW threads this morning.

But, who knows, someone could jump in at the last moment and beat my offer rendering all this academic..........but, fun. If not, I'll chalk it up as a great birthday present.

Well, it's mine. :cool: Thanks, Pete.

Congrats!
Thank you.

The seller called me on my cell as I was going to jazz ensemble practice tonight and we agreed I will pick up the Weltklang tomorrow evening at a mutually agreed upon location.

I'm taking a Protec Contour case for it to make sure it gets home safe.

Rob

PS. For anyone interested, final price was $1400 "out the door" (He was asking for 8.25% sales tax and PayPal fees to be added.).

Last edited:
When Pete checks in the next time, he'll be quite surprised I'm sure. This is kinda' exciting actually that the WF played a role in the acquisition of this really interesting vintage horn. A new horn is always a great B-day present to yourself... I know, I just bought myself a vintage German one for my B-day as well.

So Rob, when you get it home, and you get around to taking some photos, please do post them in an album here. If you haven't posted photos before, & are having difficulties with it, just fire off a PM to me, and I can help you.

at least he won't be flying it back sans case from Louisianna :emoji_relaxed:

My bass actually had its original case when it flew back in the seat next to me from New Orleans. It was a real seat hog! It was similar to those human passengers that sit beside you, and monopolize the shared armrest for the entire flight... The only difference was it didn't move, and wouldn't budge an inch... Jeez... It was the instrumental equivalent of a person of size. :emoji_smile:

So Rob, when you get it home, and you get around to taking some photos, please do post them in an album here. If you haven't posted photos before, & are having difficulties with it, just fire off a PM to me, and I can help you.
My b'day being this Thursday, the 26th, this was very timely.

It will be my pleasure to take and post photos of this new acquisition.
If I get real ambitious, I might even do an mp3 clip for the annoyance of all.

Bottom line: If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing.

Weltklang Tenor

It plays wonderfully. Rich, full and resonant tone with reasonably good intonation. One issue is my RPC piece has to be pulled out too far on the neck to play in tune - I thought I might be dealing with a 442 - while my Ponzol metal is in tune while down farther on the cork.

I'd like to know more about the history of the horn but discovered little to no information using the usual Goggle method. I can't even find a serial number reference to determine how old it might be.

I like it so well I plan to use it for my weekly community center dance gig tomorrow afternoon. That will be the acid test.

Rob

Follow-up:

I discovered the owner twice-removed of this horn in the UK. He had photos of what it looked like when he got it from the German source who sent it to him. It confirmed that it's been artfully re-plated and in all other categories, restored very professionally. I also discovered a serial number chart thanks to Mark Fleming (no relation) on SOTW for Weltklangs and it shows this one being made sometime between 1962 and 63.

I used the Weltklang at a weekly dance gig yesterday afternoon playing jazz chair tenor and it performed beautifully. I was particularly impressed with the richness and color of the tone from top to bottom. Really, in both registers the tone is full-bodied, not wimpy like with other saxes I've played. I used the Ponzol M1 .110 gold mpc for the reasons shared with you earlier, and it maintained excellent intonation throughout the two-hour gig.

The only downside is the initial awkwardness of the left pinky plateau (not so much) and the extra trill key off to the right of the right palm keys which I hit by accident a few times playing E3 and F3 causing the wrong note to pop out.

I know I paid too much for this horn considering the obscure nature of the brand and lack of potential for recouping the "investment" later, but my self-admitted temporary insanity is somewhat mitigated by the quality of this "industrial strength" tenor.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

Rob

It's all about what you enjoy. Glad you found an interesting horn and great looking horn.

Back
Top Bottom