Weltklang: Pretty

Put a riser on the side E key, and it isn't likely to happen again.

Put a riser on the side E key, and it isn't likely to happen again.
Good suggestion, thanks. I think I have one of those around here somewhere.

I've used the rubber variety, a Runyon product I believe, but they are troublesome as far as staying put is concerned. My main use for them is to identify the D key under the arch of my palm. (I'm not a native sax player, so the key IDs by position aren't second nature.)

What I would really like to see is adjustable palm keys on all new saxes, but that's ain't gonna happen any time soon. Bummer...

The Runyon risers are great but sometimes you need to use a little glue to keep them in place.

I use synthetic wine corks on mine. Takes a little while to shape them properly, but when you have hands as big as mine, it's a necessity on smaller horns.

I've never had to glue them on any instrument I've used them on. Then again I learned sax at 19 and spent hours studying the motion used to open and close the keys to keep wasted motion to a minimum. It seems to have paid off big time in the long run.

If it was my horn, in that condition, I certainly wouldn't be gluing anything to those palm keys with the mother of peal key touches! FWIW, I've been using those black rubber key risers on all my horns (S through B) and have only ever lost 1. I have both the Selmer and Runyon variety, not that I've noticed any difference. I have way more Selmer ones than Runyon ones due to their availability where I live.

As for the price of the horn Rob, I'm not so sure you overpaid. It's all relative. If you plan to keep the horn for a while, and it plays well for you, than the price wasn't out of line necessarily. The condition is outstanding, and if it is maintained, the value should be as well.

Weltklang horns are a niche market, and any history that you are able to gather on your horn, would, in my mind anyway, assist in maintaining its value down the road. I know I would like to know the history of the vintage sax I buy, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's more of us out there with this affliction. :emoji_relaxed: Eg: When I bought my bass from Paul Coats, he had done research on it, and he was able to trace its history fairly well. His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree when he told me about the bass starting at the University of Oklahoma & ending up at a middle school in Louisiana, and how it was forgotten about for decades before being rediscovered during renovations. Like I said...We're out there...

Take good care of your new baby Rob. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

...When I bought my bass from Paul Coats, he had done research on it, and he was able to trace its history fairly well. His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree when he told me about the bass starting at the University of Oklahoma & ending up at a middle school in Louisiana, and how it was forgotten about for decades before being rediscovered during renovations. Like I said...We're out there...

Take good care of your new baby Rob. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Thanks for sharing this. I've had the pleasure of exchanging several emails with Paul a few years ago regarding his experience with Antigua 530SG altos, particularly their excellent intonation, and he was very helpful for someone with such a busy schedule. Just yesterday I was rehearsing with a sax quartet and a couple of the charts we played were arranged by Paul. One of them, not surprisingly, was a suite of movements about New Orleans.

I agree with you about the price of collector's items being relative. There are times when price almost becomes no object if you have the funds to remedy a serious GAS attack.

<riser discussion>

Like someone said, I don't like the idea of using glue on pearl touch side keys and will not do that. I've found that Runyon rubber risers on side keys tend to stay in place more than those for the left palm touches. All the inputs provided here for this issue are valid for most saxes, IMO, but this unique artist model tenor will require special handling and care to preserve one of the features that attracted me to it in the first place, the pearl touches.

Thank you all for your participation in this thread. As always, it is much appreciated and very helpful.

Rob

I've never used rubber risers on a sliver sax. Is there any concern with sulfur content? Will anything be discolored?

I use the Yamaha rubber thumb pads on clarinets with silver keys, with no issues with anything there.

Last edited:
I've never used rubber risers on a sliver sax. Is there any concern with sulfur content? Will anything be discolored?

I use the Yamaha rubber thumb pads on clarinets with silver keys, with no issues with anything there.
There might be some concern, but I don't know of any. If I experience any issues with it, I'll post them here.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.
As am I. I've got a couple calendars that are in need of pics ....

I used to search eBay for pics weekly (to back that up, there's the fact that I had about 5gb of pics on saxpics.com), but since I sold the 'site, I've had far less of a need to hit eBay. However, in this case, someone asked me about cheap baritone saxes and I immediately thought "Weltklang", as those are Richard Keilwerth-made. This ad was the first to pop up.

I still think it's nice looking. I think that the additional pearls over a silver plate look even nicer than Conn's idea of pearls over gold plate, i.e. the Virtuoso Deluxe finish on the New Wonder models.

Sorry I haven't been back in awhile. I had a college class I was finishing up.

As am I. I've got a couple calendars that are in need of pics ....

I still think it's nice looking. I think that the additional pearls over a silver plate look even nicer than Conn's idea of pearls over gold plate, i.e. the Virtuoso Deluxe finish on the New Wonder models...
I copy. Let me see what I can do.

Weltklang Artist Tenor Photos

Those interested may go here to view the photos.

Comments welcome.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom