Which model is this Buffet Crampon Oboe?

Hi

I am not a musician, though I happen to have a Buffet Crampon oboe inherited from a relative. It has a serial number of 2056 on both of the main pieces, and Buffet Crampon Paris clearly written on the end-piece. A bit of googling has revealed that the serial number is key (I think), and it seems that the manufacturer used to have a Serial Number search / identification app on their website, but this seems to be defunct. I attach a photo of it in its case, but can't get any decent detail of the serial number using my smartphone camera....And yes, naturally, I am interested in knowing what it might be worth! Help much appreciated. Matt

Attachments

• BUFFET.CRAMPON.OBOE.1.jpg
    BUFFET.CRAMPON.OBOE.1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,840
Behold: really old Buffet oboe serial numbers. (Reprinted here; scroll to the bottom.)

The "Buffet" oboes from the 1960s and 1970s were in fact made by Marigaux- even having the Marigaux serial numbers- some good- some excellent oboes. Same as the "King-Marigaux" oboes.

It'd be helpful if you post the serial number, regardless of picture quality. The little case you have in the ... case looks old, but I don't necessarily think "pre-WWII" old.

If you're really interested and nobody else here has any ideas, I'd recommend writing to Buffet.

How to determine horn value.

My serial number list shows it to date from 1889, but the case looks more recent. No idea of oboe values.

Thanks Pete, Tony

Pete - the image of the serial number really isn't worth sending the resolution is terrible. I will try to dig out my wife's digital camera and try with that.

Tony - thanks! 1889?? Though if it is, the case can't be original as it's some kind of plastic.

I have written to Buffet UK, hope to get somewhere there.

Thanks again

Matt

Since Buffet had some instruments made to their specifications by other makers its possible that the serial number is a non-buffet number, in which case the 1889 dating could be wrong. Hopefully Buffet will be able to come up with something more definitive.

Since Buffet had some instruments made to their specifications by other makers its possible that the serial number is a non-buffet number, in which case the 1889 dating could be wrong. Hopefully Buffet will be able to come up with something more definitive.
I'd be willing to bet that it's a lot more current than 1889 and I already made the comment about 60s and 70s oboes being from Marigaux :).

First, for whatever reason I thought that OP didn't post the serial number. I plead temporary blindness. Sunspots? Medication? Something like that.

Second, I'd think that the horn isn't from Marigaux. A serial number that low would = 1937ish, not 1960s or 70s, so that possibility is out.

Third, Buffet had a couple of fires that destroyed all serial number records around 1940. Around 1945, they restarted their serial number charts again with 1. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea how many oboes produced per year. If you go by the really old serial number chart I posted, they started with a few hundred per year, then tapered to a few dozen. If you go by their sax production, post WWII, you have a few hundred instruments produced per year. That puts a serial of 2056 around 1950, give or take a couple years. I think that's be a most reasonable estimate.

As I said, if you're really interested, contact Buffet. Post back to say if I was right.

Hi,

I have oboe serial number 2036, a close cousin of yours! Have you found any definitive information?

Thanks,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom