Vibratosax

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I ordered one of these, the A1S, and I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog to get it.

There's not much information out there. From photos I've seen, the cheaper model A1 has keys, while the upgrade A1S that I ordered has colored pads that ARE the keys. Does anyone know more than i do?

On the other forum, the thread about Vibratosax is one of the longest ever recorded. It's sprinkled by demos which prove that the sound of these new saxes is very promising. The only problem is that the demo players, certainly very renowned local artists, play a way which send me climbing up the curtains. Thanks in advance, Groovekiller, for posting a demo with real music as soon as the parcel is unwrapped.
J

I probably mentioned this on SOTW, but there's no reason not to repeat myself :).

The list price, in Indonesia (IIRC; their website is very slow ATM) is around $370 US. I can get a used, overhauled YAS-23 for around $500. I know that the YAS-23 can easily serve as a backup horn and I know that parts are plentiful and easy to get. I can't say the same for the Vibratosax.

It's "known quantity" vs. "unknown quantity."

I do think the Vibratosax is a great technical achievement, but it needs to be in the $200-range to be truly successful. That doesn't mean that I don't want to hear a review from a pro player and see more pics, tho!

Well, there's unique for unique's sake (contrabasses, for instance) and the primary/backup role. However, I assume that this thing is primarily marketed to and for beginners, rather than as a primary/backup horn for pro players, as was the Grafton.

I've mentioned that I had one of the clear Buffet clarinets with the copper keywork. Yes, that horn was easily a conversation piece, but it also was a very good horn. Student model, yes, but as much as I played Bb clarinet at that time, it was a perfect horn.

FWIW, I do not like the look of the all-pink Vibratosax. I did like the one that was white with red "pearls."

Mine (and Groove's I think) have been delayed from shipping until December 8th. Hopefully they will arrive before Christmas. We both ordered the A1S, so hopefully we will see some reviews of the A1 and A1SG as well.

I'm getting my Vibratosax as soon as possible because I'm extremely curious about the horn, and the cost is low enough to be one of the first buyers. If I had been a little more on the ball, I would have a Vibratosax in my hands now, before the "terrorist threat" stopped shipments until December 8.

I know there is not a lot of profit margin for dealers in the USA on these horns, but I do think that the price will eventually get a little lower, and you won't have to pay shipping if you buy from a US dealer.

I have not yet played a Vibratosax, and therefore I have no right to critique its playability. I think the appeal of this instrument is due to its "play anywhere" construction - no rust, no waterlogged pads, no worries. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to take the chance.

Oh yeah, and I'm a sucker for weird horns.

I'm waiting to see what players I KNOW for a fact can play and give an unbiased review (such as Mr. Emerick) have to say about their example before I purchase one.

The S & H is not insignificant at between $200 to $240 (a hefty portion of the cost of the horn itself). I questioned the 3rd option at $45 of using Thai post for delivery, which it turns out was warranted. As Randy mentioned, it was just announced that Thai post will be unable to deliver such large packages to the US until after Dec 8th at the earliest, due to safety (read terrorist) restrictions placed on them by the Feds.

If the price had been kept within the original speculative price range, I would buy one just for the novelty and unique design even if it turned out to be a lousy player. However as Pete touched upon, for that amount of money a known fine playing horn can be had.

I'm not trying to be negative, however there are some real snags with this that all who are contemplating buying one should be aware of.

A1S:
images

A1:
98757IMG00271_20100508_2131.jpg

These are the best images of these horns I've been able to find on the web.

FWIW, SOTW has closed and locked their Vibratosax thread.

... and I see that a Vibratosax rep has created an account here. (Sorry for the delay in activating the account, Vibrato. I was out-of-state for my father's funeral.)

I'll combine this with the original thread. Un momento.
Combined this and Vibrato's thread. Please continue.

Back
Top Bottom