Vibratosax

... although the Grafton had a white plastic body ...

Depending on the plastic, any color should be possible -- or no color at all. A completely clear sax.

A clear body would make finding leaks tough! I bet people would be more likely to keep them clean inside though :D

...... One would expect even more of a difference in the sound than that.
I fully agree
The Mark VI definitely has more "ring" to the sound. The open C# has a markedly better sound on the Mark VI than on the Vibratosax.

Frankly, "definitely" and "markedly" seem to me a bit overblown: a blinfold test without any hint might have given a different result. The overall sound of the A1 seems very respectable. Let's wait till Groovekiller has first hand experience (and may be posts a little audio comparison).

Have a swinging and rocking 2011.

Jacques

They generally all have a vanilla or milk white body, at least all I have handled including the example in my collection.

Whether this is due to age, or original tinting I know not. I suspect the latter, as when I was restoring mine, and had to do a bit of slight surface removal in areas, the plastic appeared to be self colored throughout.

The grafton I received (in a thousand pieces remember) looked more manilla than white, like the one in Stephen's review of the Grafton.
Grafton (well, their marketing department, at least) calls it ivory. I think I have a much bigger ad, someplace, too.

In any event, not yellow :p.

I have seen some older plastics and, for that matter, ivory that tends to be more yellowish in color. I'll mark that down to age. SOTSDO probably can fill us in with the chemical process.

Speaking of the Grafton, I went back to the page on my website for the link to the ad and see that the Grafton cost $108 in 1949 dollars. Using an inflation calculator, that's slightly less than $1000 in 2009 dollars. How much is that Vibratosax, again?

Frankly, "definitely" and "markedly" seem to me a bit overblown: a blinfold test without any hint might have given a different result.

To each his own (perception, that is). I can't wait for the arguments that "a buffed plastic finish" doesn't sound as good as "un-buffed plastic finish". :)

To each his own (perception, that is). I can't wait for the arguments that "a buffed plastic finish" doesn't sound as good as "un-buffed plastic finish". :)
Obviously that would be nonsense. The tonal effect of the color, however ...

My Vibratosax was misrouted about 2000 miles away and arrived the next day. Great, except that I wasn't home...I should have it Monday. Hopefully they improved the packing from the early shipments that often seemed to arrive unplayable.

I looked at one of the three or so multi-page threads on SOTW regarding the Vibratosax. The reviews are ... not especially good. Mind you, I didn't read ALL the 10+ pages of posts, but the reviewer was Milandro, who is fairly good at reviewing horns. The horn was an A1S. Full linky.

Mind you, I'm still interested in Groovekiller's review, especially because (IIRC) he has a Grafton and I'd like to hear/read about that comparison.

I would still like to hear what the actual price of the horns are and how much shipping is.

EDIT: I found some more pics; includes a lot of close-ups. Linky.

While Steve and I have been sharing some holiday cheer in a couple threads, tonight, I'm reasonably certain that someone will do something like what he's just mentioned. Hey, I've seen people put fireworks 'n' stuff in their bell -- and that'd be an extra bad idea for a plastic horn.

I also want to mention that I did own one of the Buffet clarinets that was clear plastic with copper keys. I thought, on more than one occasion, that it'd be an interesting effect to drape some lights through the horn.

I looked at one of the three or so multi-page threads on SOTW regarding the Vibratosax. The reviews are ... not especially good. Mind you, I didn't read ALL the 10+ pages of posts, but the reviewer was Milandro, who is fairly good at reviewing horns. The horn was an A1S. Full linky.

Mind you, I'm still interested in Groovekiller's review, especially because (IIRC) he has a Grafton and I'd like to hear/read about that comparison.

I would still like to hear what the actual price of the horns are and how much shipping is.

EDIT: I found some more pics; includes a lot of close-ups. Linky.
Pete,

Check your PMs.

Unfortunately, my Vibratosax has not yet arrived.

I did use my Grafton a few days ago to play lead alto with the Jerry Fischer big band at a rehearsal. Despite the very old pads (probably original) on the Grafton, it sounded very good, and the band is very loud. Intonation on the Grafton is unusually good, and it would be difficult to beat its performance.

Unfortunately, my Vibratosax has not yet arrived.

I did use my Grafton a few days ago to play lead alto with the Jerry Fischer big band at a rehearsal. Despite the very old pads (probably original) on the Grafton, it sounded very good, and the band is very loud. Intonation on the Grafton is unusually good, and it would be difficult to beat its performance.

That was my finding with my Grafton example as well. If only we could duplicate the Grafton body with a modern, stable plastic, and utilize dependable, modern brass keywork.

I thought that we were going to see something close to that idea with the Vibratosax. I'll leave it at that.

Now I'm really gonna be fascinated to see the reports. You might remember how unhappy I was with a recent purchase of a modern C Melody sax. I returned it after my fav tech recommended I just walk away from it. It took a year to get my refund back.

Y'know, I might be able to say that the more posts there are about a particular instrument before its release, the lower the review of the horn will be AFTER the release. Hey, I remember very little pub regarding, say, Benedikt Eppelsheim regarding the Tubaxes, Soprillo and bass saxophone before their introduction and I see lots of good reviews, since.

Hmm. Maybe I should chart it.

It is a bit difficult. I've been doing saxophone and other woodwind research online for almost 16 years. There have been so many new makes and models over that time, mostly because of the Chinese/Taiwanese invasion (Cannonball, P. Mauriat, International Woodwinds, etc.), but there have been others, too: Eppelsheim, Peter Jessen, Inderbinen. Vibratosax, too.

Back
Top Bottom